MedSport’s Orthopaedic Sports Research Laboratory is located at our 45,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art facility at Domino’s Farms.
Our research interests include:
- ACL susceptibility in the female athlete.
- Biology of tendon-to-bone healing after ACL reconstruction.
- Bony defects and glenohumeral instability/failed shoulder instability.
- Cartilage repair surgery.
- Clinical outcomes, hip preservation surgery.
- Clinical trials in orthopaedic sports medicine.
- Female athlete concerns.
- Femoroacetabular impingement and hip kinematics.
- Joint contact mechanics after ACL reconstruction.
- Mechanical etiology of hip pain in athletes.
- Multi-center outcomes in hip arthroscopy/hip biomechanics.
- Neuromuscular performance characteristics in elite female athletes.
- PCL reconstruction and multiple ligament knee injuries.
- Rotator cuff disease.
- Shoulder biomechanics and kinematics, and shoulder prosthetic design.
- Soft tissue and osteochondral allografts.
- Surgery of the shoulder, knee, and elbow.
- Tendon and ligament biology.
Facilities and Resources
- Fully equipped biomechanical analysis suite with advanced motion-capture equipment, force plates, CCTV systems, surface and wire EMG recording and electrical stimulation systems, and digital goniometers.
- Bioinformatics, statistical, and computational analysis systems.
- Biodex isokinetic dynamometers and stability platforms.
- Digital X-ray and ultrasound.
- Microscopy, phlebotomy and tissue biopsy equipment.
- EEG measurement and cognitive testing facilities.
Faculty and Student Researchers
Students from all levels participate in MedSport research programs alongside research scientists from the University of Michigan School of Kinesiology, College of Engineering, and School of Public Health, as well as clinicians from Orthopaedic Surgery and Primary Care.
Registering for Research Participation
Interested in participating in research? Visit University of Michigan Health Research.
The following organizations are among the many that support our work:
- American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
- Arthroscopy Association of North America/Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation
- Domino’s International
- National Football League
- National Institutes of Health
- Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation
- Synthes USA
- U.S. Army Military Medicine Research and Development Agency
- U.S. Department of Defense (Navy SEALS)