Performing Arts Medicine and Rehabilitation
MedSport’s performing arts injury rehabilitation programs are specialized for the unique needs of dancers, musicians, theater performers, figure skaters, and gymnasts at the professional, amateur, collegiate, high school, and studio level.
Our Performing Arts Medicine and Rehabilitation team includes sports medicine physicians and orthopaedic surgeons. We can coordinate care with our doctors and help with referrals to other members of the healthcare team, including sports psychologists, nutrition counselors, Pilates instructors, and massage therapists. We are involved in research on dance and figure skating injuries and injury prevention, and we participate in national and international performing arts medicine initiatives.
Our program licensed physical therapists and certified athletic trainers specialize in working with performing artists. Many of them have years of experience and training in arts that include dance, figure skating, cheerleading, gymnastics, and musical performance.
Our services include:
- Complimentary Injury Screenings: After a performing arts injury, one of our staff members can quickly assess your state of health and make recommendations or referrals to the appropriate members of our healthcare team as part of our Acute Injury Clinic.
- On-site and Backstage Treatment Services: Working with the University Musical Society and the University of Michigan, we provide care to local and international theaters, studios, and touring companies within Ann Arbor and Southeast Michigan.
- Performing Arts Injury Clinic: Our clinic is available on an appointment basis. We offer a musculoskeletal screening, assessment, and exercise program instruction for the performer. Assessment is provided by MedSport licensed physical therapists and athletic trainers who have orthopaedic, sports medicine, and manual therapy training.
- Performing Arts Screening and Assessment: Using research-based screening, as adapted by the Harkness Center for Dance Injuries at New York University, we assess musculoskeletal deficiencies and provide a dance-specific exercise and treatment program.
- Performing Arts Wellness/Educational Programs: Our team provides workshops, in-service training, lectures, and educational forums on the topics of performing arts injury and rehabilitation to members of the community; the University of Michigan School of Music, Theatre & Dance; and other members of the University of Michigan family. These programs include discussion of common performing arts injuries, working with performing artists on proper technique and body mechanics, and exercise instruction. Educational programs can be individualized to your group’s needs.
Call us to make an appointment at 877-877-9333 or 734-930-7400.