Bruce S. Miller, M.D., M.S.
- Professor, Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine
- Medical Director, MedSport
- Fellowship Director, Sports Medicine & Shoulder Surgery
- Team Physician, University of Michigan Football
- Team Physician, USA Rugby
Dr. Miller is a graduate of Harvard Medical School, and was an All-American athlete as a Harvard undergraduate. He continued on at Harvard University to complete his residency training in orthopaedic surgery as well as a Fellowship in orthopaedic trauma surgery. In addition, Dr. Miller has completed Fellowship training in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery in Sydney, Australia, followed by a fellowship in Sports Medicine, Knee and Shoulder Reconstructive Surgery at the Steadman Hawkins Clinic in Vail, Colorado.
Dr. Miller specializes in all disorders of the shoulder, including shoulder replacement surgery, rotator cuff surgery, and fractures. His practice also includes all sports injuries of the knee and shoulder (ACL and meniscus tears of the knee, cartilage injuries of the knee, shoulder instability).
Dr. Miller has an active clinical research program focusing on rotator cuff disease. His research in the field of rotator cuff tears has been recognized with many honors and awards. He has authored numerous articles, chapters, and peer-reviewed publications on shoulder and knee injuries.
Department:Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Arthroscopic Shoulder Surgery: rotator cuff surgery, instability surgery, cartilage and tendon surgery, superior capsular reconstruction
- Shoulder Replacement Surgery: total shoulder replacement, reverse shoulder replacement, partial shoulder replacement
- Knee Reconstruction and Restoration Surgery: ACL, meniscus, and cartilage surgery
- Sports Injuries of the shoulder and elbow
- Clinical outcomes in sports medicine surgery of the shoulder and knee
- Cartilage injury and repair and rotator cuff disease
Education and Training:
- Medical School: Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- Residency: Harvard Medical School Combined Residency Program, Orthopaedic Surgery, Boston, MA
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Orthopaedic Trauma Surgery, Boston, MA
- University of New South Wales, North Shore Private Hospital, Mater Misericordiae Hospital, Complex Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, Sydney, Australia
- The Steadman Hawkins Clinic, Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, Knee and Shoulder Reconstructive Surgery, Vail, CO
- M.S. in Clinical Research Design and Statistical Analysis, University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, MI
- 2017 International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS), Richard Caspari Award Finalist, “Does Concomitant Biceps Surgery Affect the Outcome of Rotator Cuff Repair?” Shanghai, China, June 2017
- 2015 International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS), Richard Caspari Award Finalist, “Does Smoking Affect Treatment Allocation and Outcomes in Patients with Rotator Cuff Tears?” Lyon, France, June 2015
- 2017 President, Big Ten Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Fellowship Society
- 2014 O’Donoghue Sports Injury Research Award, from the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine. “Revision Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction Graft Choice Impact on Outcome in the MARS Cohort”.
- 2011 Traveling Fellow, American Orthopaedic Association 2011 American-British-Canadian Traveling Fellowship Program (England, Scotland, Australia, New Zealand)
- 2011 First place, Patient-Oriented & Epidemiology Project category, American Medical Student Association Foundation 16th Annual Convention. “A Mobile Computing Tool for Collecting Clinical Outcomes Data from Shoulder Patients”.
- 2011 Best Poster Award. 76th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic
Surgeons. “Surgical versus Nonsurgical Management of Rotator Cuff Tears in Older Individuals.”
- 2010 O’Donoghue Sports Injury Research Award, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine. “When Do Rotator Cuff Repairs Fail? Serial Ultrasound Examination After Arthroscopic Repair of Large and Massive Rotator Cuff Tears.”
- 2008 Career Development Award, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- 2008 American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine Excellence in Research Award. “Defining Safe Rehabilitation for Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction of the Elbow: A Biomechanical Study”. American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine Annual Meeting.
- 2007 Traveling Fellow, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine. Pacific Rim Tour.
- 1988-1990 All American, All-East, All-New England, All-Ivy League Rugby, Harvard University
- 2006 Department of Orthopaedic Surgery “Golden Scalpel” Resident Teaching Award, University of Michigan, 2006
- 2004 Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Resident Teaching Award, University of Michigan
Miller BS, Downie BK, Kohen RB, Kijek T, Lesniak B, Jacobson JA, Hughes RE, Carpenter JE: When Do Rotator Cuff Repairs Fail? Serial Ultrasound Examination After Arthroscopic Repair of Large and Massive Rotator Cuff Tears. Am J Sports Med 39(10): 2064–2070, 10/2011. PM21737833
Pedowitz RA, Yamaguchi K, Ahmad CS, Burks RT, Flatow EL, Green A, Wies JL, St Andre J, Boyer K, Lannotti JP, Miller BS, Tashjian R, Watters 3rd WC, Weber K, Turkelson CM, Raymond L, Sluka P, McGowan R: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Clinical Practice Guideline on: Optimizing the Management of Rotator Cuff Problems. J Bone Joint Surg Am 94(2): 163-167, 01/2012. PM22258004
Grant JA, Miller BS, Jacobson JA, Morag Y, Bedi A, Carpenter JE: Intra- and Inter-rater Reliability of the Detection of Tears of the Supraspinatus Central Tendon on MRI by Shoulder Surgeons, J Shoulder Elbow Surg 22(6): 725–731, 06/2013. PM23158043
Grant JA, Schroeder N, Miller BS, Carpenter JE: Comparison of Manipulation and Arthroscopic Capsular Release for Adhesive Capsulitis: A Systematic Review, J Shoulder Elbow Surg 22(8): 1135–1145, 08/2013. PM23510748
Gomberawalla MM, Miller BS, Coale RM, Bedi A, Gagnier JJ: Meta-analysis of Joint Preservation versus Arthroplasty for the Treatment of Displaced 3- and 4-part Fractures of the Proximal Humerus, Injury 44(11): 1532–1539, 11/2013. PM23664063
Boguski RM, Miller BS, Carpenter JE, Mendenhall S, Hughes RE: Variation in Use of Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty Across Hospitals, J Shoulder Elbow Surg 22(12): 1633–1638, 12/2013. PM24135418
Hughes RE, Carpenter JE, Miller BS, Mendias C, Seidelman JL, Donnell DM: A Stochastic Structural Reliability Model Explains Rotator Cuff Repair Re-Tears International Biomechanics, 1(1): 29–35, 12/2014.
Huang H, Grant JA, Miller BS, Mirza F, Gagnier JJ: A Systematic Review of the Psychometric Properties of Patient-Reported Outcome Instruments for Use in Patients with Rotator Cuff Disease, Am J Sports Med 43(10): 2572–82, 10/2015. PM25622986
Kweon C, Gagnier JJ, Robbins CB, Bedi A, Carpenter JE, Miller BS: Surgical Versus Nonsurgical Management of Rotator Cuff Tears: Predictors of Treatment Allocation. Am J Sports Med 43(10): 2368-72, 01/2015. PM26268847
Robbins C, Carpenter JE, Bedi A, Gagnier JJ, Miller BS: Factors Related to Improved Quality of Life in Operative and Non-operative RCT Patients, Orthop J Sports Med 3(7) (suppl 2): *, 07/2015.
Cowan JB, Bedi A, Carpenter JE, Robbins CB, Gagnier JJ, Miller BS: Evaluation of American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Appropriate Use Criteria for the Management of Full-thickness Rotator Cuff Tears. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 25(7): 1100–1106, 07/2016. PM26923307
Kirsch JM, Bedi A, Horner N, Wiater JM, Pauzenberger L, Koueiter DM, Miller BS, Bhandari M, Khan M: Tranexamic Acid in Shoulder Arthroplasty: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. JBJS Rev: 01/2017. PM28902659
Kirsch JM, Khan M, Thornley P, Gichuru M, Freehill MT, Neviaser A, Moravek J, Miller BS, Bedi A: Platform Shoulder Arthroplasty: A Systematic Review. J Shoulder Elbow Surg: 01/2017. PM29046255
Kessler KE, Robbins CB, Bedi A, Carpenter JE, Gagnier JJ, Miller BS: Does Increased Body Mass Index Influence Outcomes After Rotator Cuff Repair? Arthroscopy: 01/2017. PM29100770
Kirsch JM, Nathani A, Robbins CB, Gagnier JJ, Bedi A, Miller BS: Is There an Association Between the “Critical Shoulder Angle” and Clinical Outcome After Rotator Cuff Repair? Orthop J Sports Med 5(4): 04/2017. PM28451621/PMC5400133
Watson ST, Robbins CB, Bedi A, Carpenter JE, Gagnier JJ, Miller BS: Comparison of Outcomes 1 Year After Rotator Cuff Repair with and Without Concomitant Biceps Surgery. Arthroscopy 33(11): 1928–1936, 08/2017. PM28822640
Gagnier JJ, Allen B, Watson S, Robbins CB, Bedi A, Carpenter JE, Miller BS: Do Medical Comorbidities Affect Outcomes in Patients with Rotator Cuff Tears? Orthop J Sports Med 5(8): 08/2017. PM28856169/PMC5570119
Miller B, Watson S, Robbins C, Bedi A, Carpenter JE: Does Concomitant Biceps Surgery Affect the Outcome of Rotator Cuff Repair? Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopy and Related Surgery 33(10): e171–172, 10/2017